Does 'The Book of Eli' Line Up with Scripture?



Absolutely not.

Since this dangerous movie has been released, I've had a few conversations with various Christian friends most of whom enjoyed the movie.

However, do the actions of the main character line up with the words of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Nope.

Below is part of an email I sent this morning:

Just this past Saturday I had a conversation with a friend who mentioned how much she liked The Book of Eli movie and I told her my concerns as I've shared with you regarding the push to provoke Christians to violence and committing murder to defend ourselves or our family.

However, what does scripture tell us?

The Lord Jesus Christ never tells us to do this but rather he says we are to love our enemies and lay down our lives for others.

In fact, I believe if we resort to committing murder for whatever reason, we are in danger of losing our salvation.

Please give me scripture that says otherwise and I will readily change my thinking on this serious matter.

Thanks!!

Because He lives,
Cathy


38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matthew 5


COMMENT:

FROM KM 2/9/10
That is great, I would add that God does not need help protecting His Word. The Grass withers and the flower fades but the Word of Stands for Ever. And the Lord magnifies His Word above His Name! As far as I know about the movie is that Washington is killing everyone to protect the last Bible on earth. The fake Christians have always killed to keep God's Word from getting to the people. He put us to give out His Word, not kill others who want it. sick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having seen the movie my self and as a reborn christian i agree that the violence used does not demonstrate Love nor even self defense in my view.

Allthough Cathy i wonder what you mean by "we are in danger of losing our salvation."

If you refered to an unbeliever than the bible tells us that anybody can be saved and infact besides jesus crucifiction the guys sins were forgiven.
If you refered to a born again christian (john 3:7) to be able to loose salvation than i would ask you if Jesus death was not sufficient so that we can loose salvation?

I believe it cant be lost,Jesus has paid it all in full on the cross for all sins.

Cathy Palmer said...

When you have some time, listen to Dr. Cathy Burns here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopEEDPpkVE

She explains it much better than I can.

blessings,
Cathy